Mönchengladbach The draw on Sunday will determine who Borussia Mönchengladbach will face in the first round of the DFB Cup. 63 of the 64 participants have been confirmed. We show what opponents Gladbach could expect.
It is not yet officially clear who will be the new coach of Borussia Mönchengladbach. On Sunday, however, it is clear who Adi Hütter’s successor will meet in his first competitive match as the new Gladbach coach in just over two months. 63 of the 64 DFB Cup participants are known so far, the last place to be awarded is reserved for the champion of the Oberliga Westfalen, which has not yet been determined.
As always, it will take five more victories in the cup season 2022/23 to reach the final at the Berlin Olympic Stadium in June 2023. Borussia Mönchengladbach lost last season to Hannover 96 after beating 1. FC Kaiserslautern 1-0 and defeating FC Bayern München 5-0 in the round of 16. In the end, RB Leipzig secured the title.
An overview of the participants in the DFB Cup 2022/23
- 1. FC Köln
- 1.FSV Mainz 05
- 1.FC Union Berlin
- Bayer Leverkusen
- Borussia Dortmund
- Borussia Mönchengladbach
- Eintracht Frankfurt
- FC Augsburg
- FC Bayern
- FC Schalke 04
- Hertha BSC
- RB Leipzig
- Sc Freiburg
- TSG Hoffenheim
- VfB Stuttgart
- VfL Bochum
- VfL Wolfsburg
- Werder Bremen
- 1 FC Heidenheim
- 1 FC Kaiserslautern
- 1 FC Magdeburg
- 1. FC Nürnberg
- Arminia Bielefeld
- Eintracht Braunschweig
- FC St Pauli
- Fortuna Düsseldorf
- Hamburger SV
- Hannover 96
- Hansa Rostock
- Holsten Kiel
- Karlsruhe SC
- SC Paderborn
- Jan Regensburg
- SpVgg Greuter Fuerth
- SV Darmstadt 98
- SV Sandhausen
- 1860 Munich
- Dynamo Dresden
- Ore Mountains Aue
- FC Ingolstadt
- SpVgg Bayreuth (regional champions Bayern Bayern)
- SV Elversberg (Cup winner Saarland)
- Victoria Cologne (Cup winner Middle Rhine)
- Waldhof Mannheim (cup winner Baden)
- BSV Rehden (winner of the Lower Saxony Cup)
- Carl Zeiss Jena (cup winner Thuringia)
- Chemnitzer FC (Saxony Cup winner)
- Energie Cottbus (cup winner Brandenburg)
- FV Illertissen (Cup winner Bayern)
- Kickers Offenbach (Cup winner Hesse)
- SV Rödinghausen (cup winner Westphalia)
- SV Straelen (cup winner Niederrhein)
- Teutonia Ottensen (Cup winner Hamburg)
- Viktoria Berlin (cup winner Berlin)
- VfB Lübeck (Cup winner Schleswig-Holstein)
- Blau-Weiss Lohne (winner of the Niedersachsen Cup)
- Bremer SV (cup winner Bremen)
- FC Unity Wernigerode (Saxony-Anhalt state cup finalist because Magdeburg already qualified as an opponent)
- FV Engers (Cup winner Rheinland)
- SV Oberachern (Cup winner South Baden)
- Stuttgarter Kickers (Württemberg Cup Winners)
- TSG Neustrelitz (Cup winner Mecklenburg-Vorpommern)
- TSV Schott Mainz (Cup Winner Southwest)
- Champions of Oberliga Westphalia
Who can Borussia Mönchengladbach meet?
Tickets for the 18 Bundesliga teams and the 14 best-placed 2nd division teams from last season are in the draw for the first draw – Borussia can therefore not face these teams in the first round of the trophy. In addition to the amateur teams, the second lottery pool contains attractive tickets that can give Borussia a difficult task in the first round: These include the relegated second division and the top four teams in the third division.
As a result, Gladbach could face Dynamo Dresden, Erzgebirge Aue, FC Ingolstadt, 1. FC Magdeburg, Eintracht Braunschweig or 1860 Munich. As in the previous season, a duel with 1. FC Kaiserslautern is also possible in the first round. A clash with SV Straelen, winners of the Lower Rhine Cup, would also have the character of a derby for Borussia.
When will the DFB Cup draw take place?
The first round of the DFB Cup will be drawn next Sunday (May 29) as part of the ARD “Sportschau”. The broadcast starts at 19.15.
Who draws the first round of the DFB Cup?
In addition to DFB president Bernd Neuendorf, world champion Kevin Großkreutz will act as “Losfee”.
When are the matches played in the DFB Cup?
As usual, the DFB Cup officially opens the competition season 2022/23. The 1st main round takes place from 30 July to 1 August. However, the exact agreements will not be determined until ten to twelve days after the draw.
When will the DFB Cup final take place?
- 1st round: July 30 to August 1, 2022
- Round 2: 18/19 October 2022
- Round 16: 31 January / 1. January February and 7./8. February 2023
- Quarterfinals: April 4/5
- Semifinals: 2/3 May 2023
- Final: June 3, 2023
Here is the picture gallery: Borussia’s record in the DFB Cup since 1970