Updated on 13/05/2022 at 09:54
- There are still a few unanswered questions on the 34th match day of the Bundesliga.
- They relate to the last participant in the Champions League, Europa League and relegation battle.
Champions FC Bayern Munich, relegated Greuther Fürth and Champions League participants Borussia Dortmund and Bayer Leverkusen are set before the 34th match day in the Bundesliga. In the battle for the other international places and the relegation place, however, there are still decisions to be made. The second relegation is not completely fixed yet.
The issues that need to be clarified in the Bundesliga in an instant
Hertha BSC (33 points, 36:69 goals)
- saves itself directly with a win or draw in Borussia Dortmund
- also saves itself in the event of a defeat in Dortmund if VfB Stuttgart do not win against 1. FC Köln
- must relegate if they lose in Dortmund, if Stuttgart win against Cologne
VfB Stuttgart (30 points, 39:58 goals)
- saves itself directly with a victory against 1. FC Köln, if Hertha BSC loses in Dortmund
- plays in relegation against table third in 2nd division if Hertha scores in Dortmund or VfB does not win against Cologne in a Hertha defeat
- even move directly into a defeat against Cologne if Arminia Bielefeld also catches up with the deficit of seven goals in goal difference in a home win against RB Leipzig
Arminia Bielefeld (27 points, 26:52 goals)
- still reaches relegation with a home win against RB Leipzig if VfB Stuttgart lose to Cologne and Arminia turns the goal difference, which is currently seven goals worse, to their advantage
Champions League fourth place:
RB Leipzig (57 points, 71:36 goals)
- remains fourth with a victory in Bielefeld. A draw should also probably be given the 22-goal advantage over Freiburg
- remains fourth with a defeat in Bielefeld if Freiburg does not simultaneously win in Leverkusen
SC Freiburg (55 points, 57:44 goals)
- finishes in fourth place with a victory in Bayer Leverkusen, if RB Leipzig simultaneously loses in Arminia Bielefeld. Union Berlin (54 points, 47:42 goals) can theoretically still move into the best class, but is three points and 30 goals behind Leipzig
Europa League fifth place:
SC Freiburg (55 points, 57:44 goals)
- finishes in fifth place with a victory in Leverkusen if Leipzig picks up at least one point against Bielefeld
- ends in fifth place with a draw in Leverkusen if Union Berlin does not win against Bochum
- becomes number five with a loss in Leverkusen if Union Berlin loses to Bochum and Cologne does not win in Stuttgart, or if they do not turn the goal difference, which is currently nine goals worse, in their favor with a victory. If Freiburg loses by a maximum of seven goals, Union should also play a draw against Bochum
Union Berlin (54 points, 47:42 goals)
- finishes in fifth place with a victory over Bochum if Freiburg does not win in Leverkusen
- finishes in fifth place with a draw against Bochum if Freiburg loses in Leverkusen and Union hits eight goals worse on goal difference in his favor. In this case, Cologne should not win in Stuttgart
1. FC Köln (52 points, 51:47 goals)
- will finish in fifth place with a win in Stuttgart if Freiburg lose in Leverkusen and Cologne turn the current nine goal difference in their favor. Union must not win against Bochum in this case
Whether the sixth place is enough for participation in the Europa League or just the Conference League can also depend on the cup final. If Freiburg finishes in seventh place and wins the trophy, the Breisgau team will also play in the Europa League and only number six in the Bundesliga in the Conference League. If Freiburg is number six, the Europa League is safe. Freiburg and RB Leipzig will play in the cup final on 21 May. The allocation of Champions League places remains unaffected. (dpa / hau)
Remarkable moments in the Bundesliga season 2021/22: Here you will find – regularly updated – moments that will stick in your memory.