Aleix Espargaró drove to this year’s third MotoGP podium at the Spanish GP in Jerez on Sunday. Aprilia has thus collected the maximum concession points and will no longer receive any concessions in the future.
Aleix Espargaró got off to a pretty bad start in Sunday’s 25-lap race at the Circuito de Jerez. The Spaniard started from the front row of the net, but initially had to place himself outside the top 5. He later passed Taka Nakagami (Honda), Jack Miller (Ducati) and Repsol Honda star Marc Marquez. Aleix lost nearly eleven seconds to winner Pecco Bagnaia of the Ducati factory team.
“It was a frustrating race because we really need to improve our clutch. Our start this year was a disaster. I lost a few places, was able to pass Nakagami, but it was not possible to get past Marc and Jack. It did I was angry because I was much faster, “the Aprilia Work driver stressed at the post-race press conference. “They braked so late and in the turn they got in my way. I saw Fabio and Pecco pull away, but I could not overtake.”
“If I had tried to overtake, I would have hit Marc. So I had to admit to myself that I did not want to fight for the victory and I had to wait and see. At the end of the race, I noticed that the two in front of me could not keep their line, and I was sure they would make a mistake. When I passed Jack, Marc went wide and I passed them both. “
Espargaró added: “In the next three laps I was able to drive more than half a second faster. I had a good pace, I wanted to be closer to the front, but that probably would not have been enough to win. I’m very happy for third place. “In the overall MotoGP standings, the Spaniard improved to second place.
With the podium, Aprilia exhausted the points account for development concessions. In the future, the Italian producer will be treated equally with all other plants. “Fabio was champion last year, he is leading the championship again and after six races we are only seven points behind,” the 32-year-old said happily. “We are not at the same level yet, we have to keep improving the bike and I have to get better too. In the end, consistency will be the key to success and I will try to put Fabio under pressure until the last . “
For the first time in his career, Aleix was able to finish on the podium in Jerez, a special moment in front of his home crowd. “It was crazy. The stands were already full at six in the morning. It was very emotional on the podium, even more so than in Argentina,” Espargaró admitted. “I’ve ridden here since I was a kid and I’ve never been on the podium. To finally do it at the age of 32 and fight with the best racers in the world is like a dream.”
Results of MotoGP Jerez (May 1):
1. Pecco Bagnaia (I), Ducati, 25 laps in 41: 00.554 min.
2. Fabio Quartararo (F), Yamaha, + 0.285s
3. Aleix Espargaró (E), Aprilia, +10.977
4. Marc Marquez (E), Honda, +12,676
5. Jack Miller (AUS), Ducati, +12,957
6. Joan Mir (E), Suzuki, +13.934
7. Takaaki Nakagami (J), Honda, +14,929
8. Enea Bastianini (I), Ducati, +18,436
9. Marco Bezzecchi (I), Ducati, +18,830
10. Brad Binder (ZA), KTM, +20.056
11. Pol Espargaró (E), Honda, +20.856
12.Miguel Oliveira (P), KTM, +23.131
13. Alex Marquez (E), Honda, +25,306
14. Maverick Vinales (E), Aprilia, +27,358
15. Franco Morbidelli (I), Yamaha, +27,519
16. Luca Marini (I), Ducati, +29,278
17. Andrea Dovizioso (I), Yamaha, +35.204
18. Fabio Di Giannantonio (I), Ducati, +35,361
19. Alex Rins (E), Suzuki, +38.922
20. Remy Gardner (AUS), KTM, +43.378
21. Lorenzo Savadori (I), Aprilia, +44,299
22. Jorge Martin (E), Ducati, +1: 07.681 min
– Stefan Bradl (D), Honda, 15 laps left
– Johann Zarco (F), Ducati, 16 laps behind
– Darryn Binder (ZA), Yamaha, 20 laps behind
Championship status after 6 of 21 Grand Prix:
1. Quartararo 89 point. 2 Aleix Espargaró 82 3 Bastianini 69 4 Rins 69 5 Bagnaia 56 6 Mir 56 7 Zarco 51 8 Brad Binder 48 9 Marc Marquez 44 10 Oliveira 43 11 Miller 42nd 12 Pol Espargaró 3 Martin Vi 35 1bid 35 1 2 1bid 35 1 1bid Alex Marquez 16 18 Bezzecchi 15 19 Marini 14 20 Dovizioso 8 21 Darryn Binder 6. 22. Gardner 3.
1. Ducati, 131 points. 2. Yamaha 89. 3. Aprilia 83. 4. Suzuki 80. 5. KTM 76. 6. Honda 57.
1. Suzuki Ecstar, 125 points. 2nd Aprilia Racing 109 3rd Monster Energy Yamaha 107 4th Ducati Lenovo 98th 5th Red Bull KTM Factory 91st 6th Pramac Racing 79th 7th Repsol Honda 79th 8th Gresini Racing MotoGP 69th 9th LCR Honda 10/37 Mooney VR1NF29 1 Yamaha R1NF29 Racing Tech3 KTM Factory 3