The hosts’ nostrils have probably never received so much attention: This time the bestseller challenge is about Vipassana yoga, ie conscious inhaling and exhaling. However, the relaxation comes to an abrupt end as Jan challenges Daniel to a yoga challenge.
Thriller writer John Grisham is a guest this time. He greets the two hosts from his farm in Virginia. An idyllic place where cruel ideas are born. For example, a referee who also becomes a serial killer. That’s what Grisham’s new novel is about. After the experience of the last novel “The Policeman” (you can listen to it in section 33), Daniel wants to know one thing above all: Why are there so many repetitions in the book?
On his literary journey around the world, Jan ends this time in Singapore, where a novel about Marlene Dietrich has been published. And he finds a Nobel Prize winner for literature for whom meditation was at least as important as for Emmanuel Carrère.
The books of the show
- Emmanuel Carrere: “Yoga”. Translated from the French by Claudia Hamm (Matthes and Seitz)
- Amanda LeeKoe: “The last rays of a star”. Translated from English by Zoe Beck. (Culture books)
- Tobias Friedrich: “The little ring hen” (C.Bertelsmann)
- Jwithout Grisham: “The suspect”. Translated from English by Kristiana Dorn-Ruhl, Bea Reiter and Imke Walsh-Araya. (Hi)
- Karen Kalisa: “Sungs Laden” (CH Beck)
- José Saramago: “The Stone Fleet”. Translated from the Portuguese by Andreas Klotsch. (Rowohlt Paperback)
- Katerina Poladian: “Here are lions” (S. Fischer)
- Drawn for the bestseller challenge: Laetitia Colombani: “The Girl with the Dragon”. Translated from the French by Claudia Marquardt. (S. Fischer)
Recipe eat READ sleep-Yoga-Rice “Sun greetings” for two people
- 150 g wild grain rice
- 1 large carrot
- 1 package choi
- 1 zucchini
- 1 package snow peas
- 1 flock spring onions
- 1 thumb size Ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- olive oil
- peanut oil
Boil the rice with a little salt for about 15-20 minutes. Heat the oil in a pan or wok, add the chopped ginger and garlic. Cut the carrots into thin sticks and add them too. Then add the chopped zucchini, pak choi cut into strips and whole snow peas in the pan or wok. Season with 4-5 tablespoons soy sauce over high heat and reduce, then round off with a dash of peanut oil. Garnish the rice with coriander.
The noble silence has begun. The course helpers push huge portions of rice and cooked vegetables into canned carts, which can be flavored with soy sauce, brewer’s yeast or gomasio.
Emmanuel Carrère “Yoga”, page 22
Feedback, suggestions and ideas? Came with it!
Anyone who would like to give feedback or mention their own favorite books can contact the three hosts by email at [email protected]. The podcast is released every 14 days on Friday at 6 and runs as a joint project under NDR’s umbrella brand – you can listen and subscribe here – or in ARD Audio Library.