The jury found Boris Becker guilty of four out of 24 charges. Now the judge in London announces the verdict.
- A criminal case is pending in London against German tennis legend Boris Becker for delaying insolvency proceedings. The verdict is expected in about four weeks.
- On April 8, a London jury found Boris Becker guilty of four out of 24 charges.
- The judge announced the verdict: Boris Becker will be in prison for 2 years and 6 months.
Update from Friday 29 April at 16.50: Former tennis star Boris Becker has been sentenced to two years and six months in prison for his bankruptcy. It was decided by a court in London on Friday. After one year and three months – ie halfway through the prison sentence – the sentence can be postponed if necessary.
Expected verdict for Boris Becker: the meeting starts on Friday at 13.00
Update from Friday 29 April at 14:19: The trial, which announces the verdict against ex-tennis star Boris Becker, began on Friday (April 29) around 1 pm in London. There was a lot of pressure at Southwark Crown Court for the decision. The meeting was therefore moved to a much larger room at short notice.
Prosecutor Rebecca Chalkley said Friday that Becker committed a serious breach of trust. She also pointed out that he had been convicted of tax evasion in Germany. Chalkley did not mention a verdict, but made it clear that she did not think a conditional sentence was enough. That he had transferred large sums of money the day after the bankruptcy, looked like money laundering.
However, Becker’s lawyer Jonathan Laidlaw asked for mercy. The transfers were payments to his ex-wife and his wife Lilly and his children, who were dependent on him. Laidlaw acknowledged that Becker broke the law, but said it was not a serious matter. The 54-year-old was in a desperate financial situation.
Following a guilty verdict in the London trial: Boris Becker’s verdict announced
Update from Friday 29 April at 12:42: Fateful day for a tennis legend: In the criminal case against Boris Becker, the verdict is awaited with excitement on Friday. The former exceptional athlete could theoretically risk up to seven years in prison for failing to disclose assets worth more than a million euros in his bankruptcy proceedings. Three weeks ago, a jury found Becker guilty of four out of 24 charges.
However, he can still appeal against the verdict – both over the verdict and over the verdict. The 54-year-old had denied the allegations. Although Boris Becker is appealing a prison sentence, he would probably be in jail after the verdict was handed down.
Becker was declared bankrupt in June 2017, and as a result, he is not said to have fully complied with his obligation to disclose his financial situation. In 2002, Becker was sentenced to two years probation in Munich for tax evasion.
London trial: jury finds Boris Becker guilty
+++ 15.15: In the London criminal case against Boris Becker, the jury found the former German tennis star guilty of several charges. The jury decided on Friday (08.04.2022) that the 54-year-old withheld parts of his assets from his insolvency manager. Becker could theoretically risk a prison sentence. The verdict is due on April 29. Becker followed suit. He can still appeal the verdict.
Becker was declared bankrupt on June 21, 2017. The jury has now concluded that he failed to disclose all of his property on 4 of 24 charges, in violation of legal requirements. The charges involved bank accounts and real estate, as well as several trophies, including the Wimbledon trophy from Becker’s first victory at the crucial 1985 Grand Slam tournament.
Boris Becker: The tennis legend must continue to tremble in the London criminal case
Update from Friday, April 8 at. 11:50: In the criminal case in London, Boris Becker must continue to tremble before his verdict. The 11 jurors withdrew for the third day in a row at Southwark Crown Court on Friday morning to discuss whether to acquit the former tennis pro guilty or not.
How long it will take before the jury reaches its verdict is unclear. The consultations behind closed doors began on Wednesday (April 6, 2022).
Becker must be clear during the hearings in the courtroom because the decision can be announced at any time. He appeared in court again Friday with his girlfriend and son Noah.
Prosecutors believe Becker deliberately withheld the fortune and blamed his advisers, who he says handled all financial matters. Becker’s defense attorney, on the other hand, stressed that his client was naive and had not taken care of his finances – but that he was innocent. Relying on advisors is not a crime.
Expected verdict in the trial against Boris Becker: the jury withdraws for hearing
First report from Wednesday, April 6: London (AP) – In the criminal case against Boris Becker, the jury withdrew to advise. Judge Deborah Taylor on Wednesday afternoon asked the jury at London’s Southwark Crown Court to consider everything they heard in the trial and come to a joint decision. It was initially unclear how long it would take for the jury to reach its verdict on whether Becker was guilty of the 24 charges. This can theoretically happen within minutes, but discussions behind closed doors that can last for days are also possible.
The former tennis professional is accused of having hidden assets in his bankruptcy proceedings. One aspect of the process is the fact that Becker had his finances organized by others, Judge Taylor said in his summary. Becker’s defense counsel emphasized in her plea that relying on advisers was not a crime. The Londoner certainly rejects the accusation that the prosecution deliberately withheld the assets. In theory, the 54-year-old could risk up to seven years in prison.
Trial against Boris Becker: Judgment approaching
Becker appeared in court again Wednesday, accompanied by his girlfriend and son Noah. Wearing a pin-striped suit, he followed the case from a glass case inside the courtroom. (dpa / afp)